If your favorite band in the world is Metallica, but you haven’t gotten a chance to take in a show in the last 18 years or so, wouldn’t you want the first show you’ve gone to since to be Metallica? What if Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth were involved? This might be a somewhat of a modest proposal, but why shouldn’t the West Memphis Three be at the Big 4 show on September 14th? Here are Metal Insider‘s Top 5 reasons why they should be front and center at Yankee Stadium:
5. First off, they’re free to attend. While they had to admit some guilt to be able to walk, they’re cleared of any wrongdoing. Which should pave the way for them to be able to be there, unless there’s some sort of probationary period where they can’t leave the state.
4. Not only are they fans of Metallica, Metallica are fans of them. The band gave Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky permission to use their music in their West Memphis Three documentary, Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills and its sequel, Paradise Lost 2: Revelations. In between the two films, the directors shot another documentary, the Metallica film Some Kind of Monster. Metallica’s James Hetfield has commented on the case, calling the end result amazing. “The way you dress, the things you listen to, I can basically speak for myself, growing up, that was just a sign of wanting to be creative and different,” he said.
3. Their appearance played a part of the three being arrested and convicted in the first place – they wore black, had long hair, and listened to metal. They don’t have to worry about that if they’re at the show. Half the people in the Bronx on the 14th will be wearing black and have long hair. The other half will be paunchy middle-aged dudes with short hair. So they fit in either way!
2. We might be incorrectly assuming their socioeconomic status, but we’re guessing none of the three made it much outside of Arkansas before their 18 year voyage through the criminal justice system. New York is a pretty awesome sight for anyone to take in, let alone three kids who have had very limited exposure to anything other than a jail cell. And what’s more symbolic of America than the New York Yankees and Yankee Stadium? We hate the Yanks and can even admit that.
1. So many people, both musicians and fans, have been showing support for the West Memphis Three for years now. And one of the reasons their release came as such a great surprise was because it has been mainly an uphill battle, despite all of the efforts made for their freedom. So imagine the emotion that will overcome everyone in the audience (and in the metal community for that matter) if the West Memphis Three were to join the Big 4 on stage during the “encore jam.” Even just seeing the three in the front row or side stage enjoying themselves would be a small victory for those who put so much time and energy into seeking justice for them.