Amorphis’ Esa Holopainen’s new solo project Silver Lake, is gearing up for his self-titled record, which will be released on May 28th via Nuclear Blast. The artwork was created by Metastazis and was recorded at Sonic Pump, produced and mixed by Nino Laurence and Holopainen, and mastered by Svante Forsbäck. While we wait to hear the first taste along with pre-orders, Holopainen has revealed additional details to his upcoming effort.
“Over the last few years, I have been writing a lot of music, and some of the stuff hasn’t exactly sounded like Amorphis. When Nino [Laurenne, owner of Sonic Pump Studios] called me late March, I already had three decent-sounding Silver Lake songs in stock. These tracks, entitled ‘Sentiment,’ ‘Ray of Light’ and ‘Promising Sun,’ worked as the backbone for the full solo album.”
“At first, I really didn’t know if the album would turn out to be purely instrumental or would there be vocalists as well. However, one thing was certain, I wouldn’t be the singer of Silver Lake. Many times, when people think about a guitarist’s solo album, they get the impression of technical stuff with huge amounts of notes played extremely fast. Well, I‘m not a big fan of that kind of music. Whenever I write, I always want to pile up interesting songs, and not just shred for the sake of it.”
There will be a total of nine tracks on the upcoming album featuring Jonas Renkse (Katatonia), Håkan Hemlin (Nordman), Einar Solberg (Leprous), Vesa-Matti Loiri, Tomi Joutsen (Amorphis), Björn ‘Speed’ Strid (Soilwork/ The Night Flight Orchestra), and Anneke Van Giersbergen.
Check out the tracklist and cover artwork below:
01) Silver Lake (instrumental)
02) Sentiment (feat. Jonas Renkse of Katatonia)
03) Storm (feat. Håkan Hemlin of Nordman)
04) Ray Of Light (feat. Einar Solberg of Leprous)
05) Alkusointu (feat. Vesa-Matti Loiri)
06) In Her Solitude (feat Tomi Joutsen of Amorphis)
07) Promising Sun (feat. Björn ‘Speed’ Strid of Soilwork / The Night Flight Orchestra)
08) Fading Moon (feat. Anneke Van Giersbergen)
09) Apprentice (feat. Jonas Renkse of Katatonia)