Last year, when Baroness frontman John Baizley made his return to the stage following a horrific bus accident in 2012, he accredited Townes Van Zandt, his favorite songwriter, with helping him heal. In fact, the late singer/songwriter’s “If I Needed You” was the song that helped him relearn guitar. When asked about his acoustic show at SXSW, where he performed a rendition of “If I Needed You,” Baizley told us that “a bit more openness and honesty onstage is a good thing.”
Now Neurot Records will be releasing Songs of Townes Van Zandt Vol II in March, and Baizley, along with singer Katie Jones, have revisited the song. Noisey is hosting the premiere of the song, which closes the album. If you’re expecting the heavier side of Baroness, you’re sure to be disappointed. However, the rendition Baizley and Jones turn in is hauntingly subdued. The duo also cover Van Zandt’s “St. John the Gambler” and “For the Sake of the Song.” Aside from those two, YOB’s Mike Scheidt, U.S. Christmas’ Nate Hall, Windhand’s Dorthia Cottrell and Dark Castle’s Stevie Floyd contribute to the album.
Here’s the track listing of Songs of Townes Van Zandt Vol. II
1. To Live Is To Fly (Mike Scheidt)
2. Pancho & Lefty (Nate Hall)
3. St. John The Gambler (John Baizley & Katie Jones)
4. Rake (Mike Scheidt)
5. Waitin’ Around To Die (Nate Hall & Stevie Floyd)
6. For The Sake Of The Song (John Baizley & Katie Jones)
7. Highway Kind (Mike Scheidt)
8. Our Mother The Mountain (Nate Hall & Dorthia Cottrell)
9. If I Needed You (John Baizley & Katie Jones)
Songs of Townes Van Zandt Vol. II will be out on March 11th on Neurot.
Tags: Baroness, Dark Castle, Dorthia Cottrell, John Baizley, Katie Jones, Mike Scheidt, Nate Hall, Stevie Floyd, Townes Van Zandt, U.S. Christmas, Windhand, YOB